Growing up, this was our go-to cake for celebrations and cupcakes.
It's a very fast prep and bake and if you decide to use it for a slab cake, it makes a really great birthday cake.
Coffee is a wonderful addition to chocolate - it enriches the flavour and deepens the colour and complexity. We double up on the flavour by pairing the Espresso and Dark Chocolate in this recipe, but you can choose to use just one. Using vinegar helps to activate the baking soda for a lighter, fluffier bake. Bakers used to add a bit of vinegar to their chocolate cake to create the original Red Velvet recipes - the vinegar changed the colour of the batter to have a slight reddish-purple hue and add a floral complexity to the chocolate.
Dairy Free Chocolate Cake with Coconut Icing
Olivia's on Bernard
This recipe creates two (2) 9" round cakes, one (1) sheet cake or a lovely batch of 24 cupcakes. It's a quick and easy prep and bake.
When you mix it, expect a very loose, liquid batter! Don't worry, it all comes together in the oven, just remember to prep your pans well as the batter is very liquid.
- 1/2 cup of Mild Olive Oil - try one of our Mild EVOO options like Hojiblanca & Frantoio Leccino or go for Flavour and use our Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil
2 cups of white sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of Espresso Balsamic
1/2 cup of Dark Chocolate Balsamic
2 Tbsp Fruity Olive Oil, like our 2021 Hojiblanca
3 1/2 cups icing sugar, divided
1/4 cup of Coconut Balsamic Vinegar
For the Chocolate Cake
For the Dairy-Free Icing
To Bake the Bake
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your baking pans as necessary with oil, dusted with cocoa and/or cupcake liners.
2) Use a stand or hand mixer
3) Combine your dry ingredients, whisking them to remove any lumps.
4) Add all the wet ingredients EXCEPT the vinegars5) Beat on HIGH of 2 minutes
6) Pour into prepared pans or cupcake holders
7) Bake for 30 minutes for a cake, 12-15 minutes for cupcakes or until a tester in the centre comes our clean.
For the Icing
1) Whisk together the olive oil with half the icing sugar to form a smooth paste
2) Whisk in the balsamic and remaining icing sugar, adding a bit more olive oil (1/2 Tbsp at a time) if the icing is too thick.
3) Pipe or spread onto cooled cakes.